Established by John Watkin
The business was established in Pencoed in the early 1900’s by John Watkin. His son, known locally as ‘Jack the Box’ continued in his father’s footsteps. Following his death in 1979, the business was taken over by his nephew Mel Watkins. Mel was a carpenter and builder by trade but had assisted his uncle with funerals for many years.
Mel & Ron Watkins
As a respected member of the community, Mel worked hard to develop the business and being a carpenter, took pride in handcrafting all coffins and ashes caskets himself. Over the years, Mel was assisted by his son-in-law Ron Watkins. In 2002, Ron joined Mel on a full-time basis and together they continued the family tradition.
Ron, Alan and Amy
Courageously working through ill health, Mel sadly passed away in February 2006. Today, the business continues to develop and serve the local community through Ron and his brother-in-law Alan Chapman. They are assisted by Ron’s daughter, Amy who manages the office in Pencoed.
Our Main Office
Our main office is within the village of Pencoed with Bethany Private Chapel of Rest located in Bryncae, Llanharan, next to Dolau Primary School.