If death occurred in the county of Bridgend
If the person passed away at the hospital or at home anywhere within Bridgend County Borough, you will need to register the death at one of the following locations:
- Bridgend Register Office, Monday – Friday between 9.30 am and 4 pm.
- Trinity Church, Porthcawl – Mondays only between 10 am and 12.30 pm. “Please note that this is by appointment only at this venue. Please ring 01656 642393 to make necessary arrangements first”
- Maesteg College, Castle Street, Maesteg – Tuesdays between 9.30 am and 12.30 pm and on Fridays between 9.30 am and 12.30 pm only.
- BY APPOINTMENT via the Register Office– at Pyle Life Centre. Thursdays only between 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm.
If death occurred in the county of Rhondda Cynon Taf
Rhondda Cynon Taf has a central District Register Office located in Pontypridd, but also has a regional office located in Aberdare. To reduce waiting times, every office operates an appointment system.
Please telephone Pontypridd Register Office for an appointment at all offices before attending.
Pontypridd Register Office
District Register Office,
Tel (01443) 494024
Fax (01443) 494040
Our out of hours emergency contact number is: (01443) 425011
Pontypridd hours of attendance:
Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm daily
If death occurred in the Vale Of Glamorgan
Vale of Glamorgan Register Office, Barry
Tel: 01446 700111
Office Hours (by appointment only)
Monday to Thursday 0830 – 1300 and 1400 – 1630
Friday 0830 – 1300 and 1400 – 1600
Emergency Out of Hours Service
Tel: 01446 747874
Limited car-parking facilities are available for customer use (accessible via Dock View Road) at the Civic Offices, Monday-Friday, with an overflow car park at Barry Leisure Centre also available. Spaces are available at the Civic Offices at weekends.
Visitors should report to the reception desk on the ground floor, where you will be directed to the Register Office.
Register Office, Penarth
Tel: 01446 700111
Office Hours: (by appointment only)
0900 – 1300
1400 – 1600
Do I have to register the death in the area where it happened?
Yes, the death needs to be registered in the district where the death occurred.
Who can register a death?
The primary responsibility for registering a death rests with a nearest relative of the deceased person. If no relative is available, please contact your local register office for advice.
Can I purchase Death Certificates when I attend?
You can purchase death Certificates when you attend with the Registrar.
What if the Coroner is involved?
Any death which has been, or needs to be reported to the Coroner may not be registered until written clearance has been received by the Registrar. In such cases, the issue of a certificate for burial or cremation may be delayed.
What will the Registrar need?
The person registering the death will need to collect the Medical Certificate Cause of Death either from the hospital or the certifying doctor if the death occurred at home. This will need to be produced to the Registrar BEFORE the death can be registered. If there has been a post-mortem, however, the Coroner will send a certificate directly to the Registrar.
The Registrar will request the following information about the deceased:
- Full names and surname (and maiden name if the deceased was a woman who had married/contracted a civil partnership)
- Date and place of birth
- Occupation (and the name and occupation of his/her wife/husband/civil partner if the deceased was a married man/woman /civil partner or widower/widow/surviving civil partner)
- Usual address
- Whether the deceased was receiving a pension/allowance from public funds
- If the deceased was married/a civil partner the date of birth of the surviving widow(er)/civil partner.
If you can locate the NHS medical card please bring it with you (this is not essential).
What if it’s too difficult for me to get to any of these venues?
If you contact Bridgend Register Office a Registrar will be able to see if an alternative venue can be arranged which is more convenient. This could mean a short delay in obtaining the paperwork required.
Contact details are as follows:
Bridgend Register Office,
Telephone: (01656) 642392 / 642393 / 642394
Fax : (01656) 642389